The Business Benefits of a Solid MIS Infrastructure MIS infrastructure – Includes the plans for how a firm will build, deploy, use, and share its data, processes, and MIS assets.
* Server. Information MIS Infrastructure: Supports Operations.
* Agile MIS Infrastructure: Supports Change.
* Sustainable MIS infrastructure: Supports the Environment.
Supporting Operations: Information MIS Infrastructure Backup and recovery plan, disaster recovery plan, and business continuity plan Backup and Recovery Plan Backup – An exact copy of a system’s information. Recovery – The ability to get a system up and running in the event of a system crash or failure.
* Fault tolerance.
* Failback. Disaster recovery plan – A detailed process for recovering information or an IT system in the event of a catastrophic disaster such as a fire or flood.
* Disaster recovery cost curve – Charts (1) the cost to the organization of the unavailability of information and technology and (2) the cost to the organization of recovering from a disaster over time.
* Hot site – A separate and fully equipped facility where the company can move immediately after a disaster and resume business.
* Cold site – A separate facility that does not have any computer equipment, but is a place where
employees can move after a disaster.
* Warm site – A separate facility with computer equipment that requires installation and configuration. Business Continuity Plan Business continuity planning (BCP)
* A plan for how an organization will recover and restore partially or completely interrupted critical function(s) within a predetermined time after a disaster or extended disruption. Emergency – a sudden unexpected event requiring immediate action.
* Emergency preparedness – ensures a company is ready to respond to an emergency in an organized, timely, and effective manner.
Business impact analysis – Identifies all critical business functions and the effect that a specific disaster may have upon them.
* Technology failure – occurs when the ability of a company to operate is impaired because of a hardware, software, or data outage.
* Incident – Unplanned interruption of service.
* Incident management – the process responsible for managing how incidents are identified and corrected. Supporting Change: Agile MIS Infrastructure Characteristics of an agile MIS infrastructure.